(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2003/0098598 Al
English et al. (43) Pub. Date: May 29,2003
(54) PROCESS FOR PRODUCING A
MULTI-LAYERED FOAM ARTICLE AND
ARTICLES PRODUCED THEREFROM
(75) Inventors: Steven English, Midland, MI (US);
Katherine J. Bladon, Brights Grove
(CA); Jose Godoy, Geneva (CH);
Alfredo B. Larre, Lake Jackson, TX
(US); Andrew M. Hogg, Bennau (CH)
LOCKE LIDDELL & SAPP LLP
3400 CHASE TOWER
HOUSTON, TX 77002-3095 (US)
(73) Assignee: Dow Global Technologies Inc.
(21) Appl. No.: 10/172,775
(22) Filed: Jun. 14, 2002
Related U.S. Application Data
(60) Provisional application No. 60/298,709, filed on Jun. 15, 2001.
(51) Int. CI.7 A47C 31/00; B29C 44/06
(52) U.S. CI 297/219.1; 264/46.4; 297/452.27
A process for producing a multi-layered article having a soft, leather-like feel comprising first introducing into a suitable mold a first liquid formulation designed to produce the top elastomeric layer on the finished article. A release agent is then applied on the elastomeric layer in the area where it is desired not to have adherence of the elastomer to the foam. Before the elastomeric layer is completely cured, a second liquid foam producing formulation, designed to produce a soft foam, is poured into the open mold. The elastomeric layer of the resulting article is integrally attached to the foam in the areas not containing the release agent.